Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Our overweight male cat (neutered), 6 yrs old, indoor only,

Customer Question
vomits frequently, most usually early...
Our overweight male cat (neutered), 6 yrs old, indoor only, vomits frequently, most usually early in day. Our carpet is suffering! He is a afraid a lot, hates to be alone for even short periods. Very loving when he feels like it. We've never had a cat before that vomits like that tho we have had at least one other fat cat.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/28/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. So an overweight cat is predisposed to so many things. Diabetes and urinary tract infections are probably the most common. You would start to notice weight loss, drinking more and urinating more if it were diabetes. Cats that cannot groom themselves will get fecal matting around there genitals and are very likely to get an infection. Vomiting can be a sign of a urinary tract infection. We can also see vomiting with intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretions, and a diet that does not agree with them (allergies). I am sorry that the nearest vet is so far away. How long has he been vomiting? Do you know about how much he weighs? Do you feed him twice daily?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has been doing this for the last four years or so, even before he gained the weight. He is fed more than twice daily. My husband won't restrict his eating, putting down too much food. I am guilty too at times. No, he cannot clean his privates tho he tries. He is a very strong cat and it is very difficult to restrain him to clean him without getting severely scratched. He moves away if I even try to brush him. He has never been outdoors except to take him to be "fixed" so I doubt he has parasites of any kind. Our other cat died having a seizure and he had diarrhea most of his life though he lived to 15. I've had about 15 cats in my lifetime :(I am 84) and have never had this much trouble with an animal. The old cat was very amenable to being treated with whatever he was fed, medicated with, etc.

Okay. So the first thing I would do is try a different food. You can get most things delivered these days. I really like the natural balance venison for cats. You can order it on Chewy.com. Some cats have sensitivities to certain foods. This is one that I have had lots of success with in my practice. It is canned. Will he eat canned?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He prefers dry food. We have tried all sorts of foods, The one he likes best is Whiskas but we are having trouble finding it so he hasn't had any for a couple years. I have to leave the house as we are scheduled to have dinner out with friends. I would like to talk to you instead of this way. We are in Alaska so if you are "back east" we are four hours earlier than you. We are just an hour off the west coast. Could you call me Monday about this time? My husband will be here to talk too. I am not sure how to pay you as when I tried to send $28 I could not make it work. Sorry, and thank you.

If you log back on Monday, you should be able to request a call. I am in Maine. I usually am able to get online around 8 pm on weeknights. Have a nice dinner.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian