Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

A small nickel size area above the right eye where he has

Customer Question
hair loss. It seems irriated...
A small nickel size area above the right eye where he has hair loss. It seems irriated and he keeps rubbing it. I have looked for signs of ringworm and i cant find any. it is not swollen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mao Mao and he is 6.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mao Mao?
Customer: No other than that he has exhibited great health. We have moved twice in the last 3 months and was thinking stress might be a factor.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/26/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This could be one of a couple things. I think the most likely is a skin infection- usually a combination of bacteria and yeast. These can be hairless and irritated/ red. They will also typically be itchy.

It's also possible that this is due to skin mites. A skin scraping would be ideal to rule out mites. If they are present, we use anti-parasitics to treat it.

Lastly, it could just be allergies to something. It's often times difficult to know exactly what they're allergic to. Common allergens are- food, plastic bowls, fleas, grasses/ pollens. You could try some Benadryl at home to see if it helps. The dose in cats is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian