Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Stand by just a sec? I was typing in the dialog box on the

Customer Question

Stand by just a sec? I was typing in the dialog box on the main page and now I can't access that. So to re-type
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: 6 year old neutered female black domestic short hair, otherwise healthy, eating well, has swollen right eye...just occurred overnight. I've rinsed the eye with cool, clear well-water.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: She's rubbing it a lot with her right fore paw...and her name is Middhi (short for Midnight Diva Diana the Huntress I)...
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Middhi?
Customer: She's very restless this morning; like I said, unusually healthy. Someone dropped her off...abandoned her...in the village 2 years ago and she claimed my garage and my heart.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

Does the eye ball look swollen or the tissues around it?

Does the eye look hazy, cloudy or any other changes?

Any discharge, what color?

Any coughing or sneezing?

Did she have access to the outdoors prior to this happening? Any chance of a head trauma?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I happen to have a tube of Bausch & Lomb Neomycin & Polymycin B Sulfates & Bacitacin Zinc Ophthalmic Ointment, FYI...and yes, as a former vet assistant, I know there are a lot of incompatibilities between human & vet meds. No discharge at all; only slight swelling; the lower interior lid is raised and covering 2/3 of the right eye. I've converted her to an indoor cat; but she does spend most warm evenings on the front screened porch.
We've both been up all night (I was writing to deadline); She just came in the open front door with this puffy eye. A bug bite? I've never seen her fall. And she's an incredible huntress/jumper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have a little flip phone right now...not certain how good a photo would come out, assuming I can hold her still enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you receive?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I have and do need a moment to type my reply.

I will post in full shortly,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Standing by. And thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried a quick camera snapshot...will attempt to send to my e-mail account...then download to you...or maybe send to your e-mail? NOW there is a little bit of clear discharge coming out of the eye. And she's pacing back and forth between the front window and the porch window, about 25 feet apart.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Now that is fine if you are unable to take a photo, but I do just need to note if you see any actual swelling to the eyeball then that is an urgent situation (glaucoma) and we'd want her seen. Since you are a former vet assistant you will should be able to determine if that is the case for your lass.

Now that aside, if we have conjunctvial or peri-ocular swelling this does raise a few concerns. We can see this with bug bites but also soft tissue inflammation (if she has knocked her head here) or secondary to altercations with other cats. Though if she is on the screened porch, we'd hope the latter less likely.

With these in mind, while those eye drops are fine to use for cats, if we have no snotty ocular discharge then there isn't an indication to use them. Instead, we'd want to keep up on flushing the eye with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This can help flush out any foreign bodies, allergens of brewing bacteria. If you do see any signs of a bug bite, then OTC Cetirizine (5mg every 24 hours) could be used to counter that. Otherwise, we'd just want to monitor this swelling. If it is an allergic reaction from a bite or soft tissue inflammation, they do tend to settle without time (if severe then cat safe anti-inflammatories of course would be indicated). But if we can flush this and use the above as needed, we'd expect this irritating swelling to settle as long as there are no changes to the actual eye.

Finally, just in regards ***** ***** additional message. You can post photos here as I outlined above (its against website policy to give our emails) and I am happy to have a look. Otherwise, if she has had a sting, was scratched by a cat that came close to the porch, or is a bit uncomfortable, then her being agitated isn't unexpected (where a cat with eye issues from cat flu wouldn't be so)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK...so appreciate your time...happy to participate in your services at $22/month after this exchange. Could you please hold on for just a minute to see if Tracfone can get that photo to my e-mail fast enough to be of use? I have some plain sterile contact lens solution I can use. I had my own right eye enucleated 2 years ago due to ocular melanoma. So I happen to have both the ointment and the eye rinse. <<< Celebrating my 3rd year cancer free...no metastasis. >>> I don't feel like it's a cat flu; it might be an infection from some of the dust in the garage (her second hang-out place) where I do art. I am VERY careful about putting everything away to keep her safe...like having a toddle around, yes?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

They can be like children, especially when they get up to mischief. Otherwise, no worries there. I will be here for a wee bit and will keep an eye out for your photo. And I agree that this doesn't sound like cat flu to me, hence why I noted it doesn't quite git with her other signs either.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so here's the lousy photo; flip-phone cameras are not particularly good with squirming cats. And my digital camera is in the shop (perfect timing). Will also send another photo so you can see a full-body image...that one is half-way decent....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's Middhi in the sunshine....about 9 months ago...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I agree the detail in the photo isn't great, but I can see the lower lid inflammation/swelling present. It does support concerns of soft tissue inflammation, possible bug bite reaction or an abscess (though again less likely with her limited out door access). So, we can use the above with her +/- you could try gently warm compressing this area if she will allow to again just get that swelling down and see if we can get her settled.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just a couple questions, please? How often with the eye rinse? How often with the warm/moist pack assuming she'll sit still for it? And I'll watch the swelling. The last cat eye infection I saw had a much thicker drainage fluid, and it was more of a yellow rather than a clear discharge. The head doesn't seem too hot; and she'll let me palpitate the eye gently, so she doesn't seem in a lot of pain/discomfort in that area. Final question: when/how do I check back with you if that seems necessary for any follow up?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

We usually will use both of thise treatments 2-3 times daily, but if does depend on how amenable she is. If she stresses out with them, then we'd do so less. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** last eye issue, that sounds like a bacterial infection where this is not at this stage. And with flushing, we'd hope to head that off for her anyway.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** me, you are welcome to send a follow up message as needed. After you leave feedback, the question doesn't close and we are able to converse as needed (its just a means for the website to credit me for helping you).

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright...sounds good...and just to be a tad more personal and a little less abstract/invisible...attached is a pic of me from 2011...at age 60. Pamela K. Bennett-Carr signing off from Vanderbilt, Michigan...and if you like, you can contact me on Facebook as policy allows. This is my first virtual vet visit; it suits as after the eye surgery, I don't drive any more. Local vet is about 10 miles away. Very nice chatting with you...more later as necessary...and thanks for being "there" or here...sending blessings and good wishes...Customer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It has been lovely chatting with you too and despite the enucleation you mentioned, I'd have never known. :)

So, do take care and hopefully we can get her settled without any need for travel.

Have a lovely evening.

Dr. B. :)