Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat had sedation yesterday at around 11am. 18 hours later

Customer Question
Hi. My cat had sedation...
Hi. My cat had sedation yesterday at around 11am. 18 hours later and she is very wobbly and tired. Is this normal? When I first brought her home she seemed more alert than she is now. She didn't look to have any trouble walking when I first brought her home but now I have noticed she wobbles a lot while walking and again this is some 18 hours later. She did have a slight fall yesterday as well.Also, we didn't get to finish the vet appt. yesterday as the vet said the sedation wasn't strong enough and that she was moving too much to perform the ultrasound. They want me to bring her back today and they want to give her higher dose sedation. I don't know if she can handle that.Is it normal to act like this 18 hours later? Why does it seem she looks worse than when I first broght her home?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/23/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now elderly cats being slow to come around from sedation is not abnormal. As well, now that she is at home and her stress hormones are waning, it is not unexpected for her to be more wobbly and showing her vulnerability to the sedation then she would at her vets. Just to note, it often can take ~24 hours before they feel like themselves. So, we'd want to restrict her access to anywhere else she could fall, keep the house quiet and dimly lit to let her sleep this off. If she doesn't start to improve after 24 hours, then we'd want her rechecked by her vet, possibly have bloods checked to make sure this isn't prolonged due to a liver or kidney issue, and have fluids to flush the drugs out of Sparkle's system. And we'd want to do that and make sure she is 100% before she has any more sedation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sparkle. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian