Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

She had an x-ray & was treated for a U.T.I. but came home

Customer Question

She had an x-ray & was treated for a U.T.I. but came home from her visit with a pronounced limp which I am being told is possible Arthritis. However she is a young cat of 3 years & has never had any problems before. I think she was injured while they were taking the x-rays.... She is still not using her back leg & it has now been a week.... She is able to jump up on her favorite perch & also the bed though, & shows no reaction when I feel her entire leg & hip. Should I get a 2nd opinion & further x-rays please?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No...however she is extremely agitated at the Vet's & they mentioned when they "stretched her out for the x-ray there was a lot of popping going on"...
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Lolly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lolly?
Customer: I have an Insurance plan & she only recently has had her 6-month check-up so she is in otherwise good health.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The first question to ask your vet is if an injection was given in that back leg that is not working well. Sometimes, an injection can hit the sciatic nerve and cause a temporary paralysis in that leg which will resolve within a few days to a week. The fact that Lolly is so young and there is no feeling of pain in that leg that she is favoring tells me that this may be the problem. Arthritis is extremely rare in such a young cat and if they took xrays, if there was something wrong, it would have shown up unless there was a cruciate tear. This is the ACL or Anterior Cruciate Ligament that can rupture and cause lameness in the leg affected. Your vet can test this on physical exam but even this is unusual.

Take Lolly back to your vet and ask these questions. This all seems very odd to me.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta