Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat just had a decent amount of fecal matter stuck to

Customer Question
Hello, my cat just had...
Hello, my cat just had a decent amount of fecal matter stuck to her. It was quite soft and very smelly. She was dragging her bum across the floor trying to get it off between attempting to clean it herself. I cleaned her off with a damp paper towel but I wanted to be sure this isn't something to be more concerned about. Now that she is mostly cleaned up she is still grooming herself.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/22/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am very glad to hear that Pantherlily has started grooming herself. When we see feces stuck to their backsides, it can be related to a stool issue but can also be secondary to grooming issues (often due to discomfort in the back/spine region).

Since the latter isn't the case, we'd be most wary of this being an abnormal stool issue. This could be related to a low grade infection (ie bacterial, viral, protozoal, parasitic) or a dietary sensitivity. In either case, we'd want to make sure she is up to date on worming (Fenbendazole/Panacur is especially useful since it can cover worms and some protozoa) and could consider a light diet (ie boiled chicken, white fish, Hills I/D or Royal Canin Recovery diet) for a day to two. As well, we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin or a pinch of unflavored Metamucil mixed into canned food) to firm her stools +/- feline specific OTC probiotics (ie Fortiflora, Bene-bac) to help support her gut. Of course, any more loose stools sticking to her peri-rectal region and we'd want to have a stool sample +/- her checked by her vet for those infectious agents.

Overall, its very good that you have a close eye on your lass. These signs do suggest a subtle gut upset affecting her stools. So, we do want to keep a close eye and use the above it nip this in the bud. Of course, if her signs linger or she develops diarrhea, then a check up to head off any progression of an infectious issue would be ideal for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hi Jenna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pantherlily. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian