Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He is nauseous throwing up liquid a couple of times a day,

Customer Question

he is nauseous throwing up liquid a couple of times a day
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of-but suspect my husband may have accidentally given him some wet food that was old
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Charlie and 5 years about?
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: He is maine coon mix so he's prone to hairballs but we give him treatment treats for that
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's also not eating, but drinking water and sleeping alot
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Can he keep the water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't noticed any diarrhea. He's keeping the water down, but drinking it very slowly. His gums look pigmented black. He's always had that since I got him. He could've eaten some spoiled wet food. My husband had several cans open in the fridge and very possibly forgot one may have been old. Otherwise he licks/tries to eat everything like a raccoon-so he could've licked something off of the floor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's had these signs the last two days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night his belly was making gurgly noises when I put my ear to it, but he's letting me hold him. I did the hydration back pinch and that seems ok. He's pretty fat anyway.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to see that Charlie is keeping water down, though with this appetite loss we do need to tread with care. As I am sure you can appreciate, cats are not designed to be off food for long (and can develop secondary liver issues if they are) so we do need to be proactive.

Now all of his signs, the appetite loss as well as the vomiting are due to his nausea. So, we do need to focus on triggers for nausea here. Old food could cause this but we can also see these signs with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items.

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the nausea induced signs we are seeing for poor Charlie. The old food could be our culprit but we need to be wary of those other issues. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I will try the pepcid approach and try the baby food since the wet food is usually a treat in small amounts.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good place to start for Charlie. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B