Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a swollen left eye, its draining and the third

Customer Question
eyelid is showing. He...
My cat has a swollen left eye, its draining and the third eyelid is showing. He is also vomiting 6-7 times a day. I took him to the vet and they prescribed antibiotic eye ointment. He's been on it since Friday and i do not see any improvement yet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: i'm been giving him dried salmon cat treats lately, and he's been eating a little of the wheatgrass that i give to my cats. Both i've been giving both to them for a while now. So it's nothing new.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Carlos
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Carlos?
Customer: he is 16 years old and is in the mid-stages of kidney disease.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/21/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago
Sarah Snow
Hello! I'm Dr. Snow and I will try to help you with Carlos1. We do often prescribe antibiotic ointment for these eye issues in cats, although sometimes it can be a viral infection, especially if there are multiple cats in the home or cats that go outside. You could try adding in a mineral supplement called Lysine, that you can get over the counter with the other vitamins and minerals. Lysine comes in 500 mg tablets. You can give 1/2 of a tablet by mouth every 12 hours. I usually crush it and mix it with canned food or tuna.Is Carlos on any other medications with his kidney disease? Sometimes these cats can benefit from getting some Pepcid by mouth. Do you know how much he weighs?
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago

Do you still need help with Carlos?

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow