How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19798
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat ate a 75 mg was for my dog. What should

Customer Question

My cat ate a 75 mg was for my dog. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Blue and he's 1.5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blue?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

75 mg is well over the amount needed to cause GI ulcers or acute kidney failure in an average sized cat. The good news, is that most cats will do well with preventative treatment. The first step is GI decontamination. If it was within 1-2 hours, we can try to induce vomiting by giving an injection of Xylazine. Most of the time we're outside that time frame so we just give activated charcoal to bind the drug in the gut and bile.

I would then put him on IV fluids for 24-48 hours while monitoring kidney enzymes. We do baseline values at the beginning of treatment and then recheck every 24 hours. If they're normal in 24 hours, he can probably go home. If there is any increase, I would go another 24 hours on IV fluids and then recheck again. You do this until they drop in values. Most cats will do fine and not have any issues.

If you just go the wait and see approach, he could end up going into kidney failure. In those cats, it's a 50% chance of getting them to survive. It's much better to do everything now and try to prevent the kidney injury from occurring.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.