Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I went to clean my cat's litter box earlier today, and it

Customer Question

Hi there, I went to clean my cat's litter box earlier today, and it looks like she hasn't peed or pooped in it since Sunday midday. I have looked everywhere around the house and can't find any accidents. I called her vet, and they said if her behavior and eating and drinking habits seem normal, that they can see her tomorrow at 6pm. I called the emergency vet hospital, and they said if she is not in distress - which she isn't, that tomorrow is fine. But reading online that even a few hours of waiting can be dangerous
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is the?
Customer: 15 years old. She is on a Med for overactive thyroid, which was diagnosed about 5 months ago, when she had a UTI, which we caught instantly. This looks nothing like the UTI. No straining to pee, no howling in pain, no hiding from being pet. She is cuddly, eager to eat & drink, seems fine otherwise
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the?
Customer: Nope, that's it. Thank you!!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has she had any straining like she needs to pass either urine or feces?

Do you see her posture like she needs to on non-litter box items or visit her box more often before turning away?

If you press on her belly (especially back between her back legs), does she have any discomfort, tensing, tenderness, or pain?

Does she have outdoor access?