Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 10 year old perfectly healthy cat. I have a 10 year

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old perfectly healthy cat.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: I have a 10 year old perfectly healthy cat who weighs 18 pounds but is not fat, just big boned. He has eaten a silicone ear plug. The clear soft type you can mold/shape into your ear, not the cone shaped sponge kind.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Truman,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Truman?
Customer: Is it better to feed him or not?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat this?

How is he just now?

Any vomiting or belly discomfort?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but do want to leavey thoughts about Truman.

Now we need to tread with care here. If he has just had this, we can choose to induce vomiting using 3% hydrogen peroxide at an oral dose of 0.5ml per pound of his weight. Or your local vet can administer injectable apomorphine. If we can get this back up we can avoid any risk of blockage.
Otherwise, we'd need to hell push this the other way. To do so, we can offer a light diet ( ie boiled chicken, white fish, meat baby food as long as it's garlic/onion free) and add canned pumpkin to help push this through the gut. As well, daily dosing with OTC cat hairball treatment can help items like this slip through the gut and out the other end.
Finally as we use the above we do need to monitor him generally. Any sign of belly discomfort, paling gums,anorexia, vomiting with blood or black stools and we'd need him seen urgently for a check and xray to see where this has caught and if it needs to be removed for him.

Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. We will be monitoring
him closely.
Glenn
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, Glenn.

Best wishes,

Dr. B
------------------------------------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a large cat and luckily ate less than a marble sized piece of the soft silicone.
I continued to feed him soft food and found approximately 60% of it in his stool today.
He has good appetite and is drinking normally.
Appears to have had no problem passing it.
Thank you for your help.
Glenn Irizarry
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update,

That is great to hear that most of it has already passed and we can all breathe a sigh of relief. :)

Keep up the good work,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate my service afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.