Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I was wondering what kind of cream is safe to use on my cats

Customer Question

I was wondering what kind of cream is safe to use on my cats to treat ringworm? I heard Athlete's Foot Cream was fine but is it fine if they lick it?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Email is fine

Hello again

Sorry to hear your cat has this problem, ringworm is rarely a serious disease in cats but it does has a high nuisance value, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If it is only a few small obvious patches of ringworm you are dealing with then you may be able to handle the situation with over the counter human anti-fungal creams containing Miconazole or Clotrimazole. You can get these from your local pharmacy in the section for the treatment of athletes foot or in the female hygiene section for the treatment of yeast infections. You would apply these twice a day for up to three weeks. Provided the cat does not ingest too much then these would be unlikely to cause any problems if ingested, I have never known this happen with normal use.

2. You should clip the area round the infection as well but be sure and wash your hands carefully after treating your cat as ringworm can affect humans. Of course if it does not respond or gets worse you should have your vet check your cat over.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning ringworm ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did but athletes foot cream, applied it since yesterday . I think it will take a week or so before we see any results but no new lesons

That sounds like the right product, but as you say it has to be applied for quite some time { Say three weeks } to sort the problem out.

Please let me know how things go ...

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?