Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Female spayed 13-year-old cat. Pees on the bed (sometimes

Customer Question
when I'm in it). Also...
Female spayed 13-year-old cat. Pees on the bed (sometimes when I'm in it). Also pees on carpet and clothes (on top of the washer), and memory foam bath mats. She also uses one of the two litter boxes. Vet says all is normal. She's a real sweetheart otherwise. I'm retired and single. Help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Hailey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hailey?
Customer: She sometimes will go several months without an incident. She was 7 when I adopted her from the shelter. Her first incident was 6 months later.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/12/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Craig Fujioka, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Craig Fujioka
Craig Fujioka, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your kitty. I am an ER vet with 16 years of experience and 25 years in the veterinary field. I hope I can help you.

Inappropriate urination can be very frustrating. It can be a behavioral issue which can often be difficult to pinpoint. It is important to make sure there isn't a medical reason for her to be urinating in unusual places.

Common medical causes can include but not limited to

1) Urinary tract infection

2) Urinary crystals or stones

3) Metabolic diseases (Diabetes / Cushings Disease / Hyperthyroidism)

4) Kidney Failure

The first steps to trying to isolate the problem would be (tests can be run step by step)

1) Exam by your veterinarian

2) Urinalysis to evaluate for UTI or crystals or other abnormalities

3) Bloodwork to evaluate for metabolic disease

4) Radiographs to evaluate for bladder stones

5) Ultrasound to evaluate the bladder for masses

If the tests do not show a cause for her symptoms - it may be behavioral and a lot of factors come into play

1) Stress in the household

2) Preference for the type of litter used

3) Number of litter boxes, location of litter boxes

4) Competition with other pets in household

There are anti-anxiety medications that can sometimes help with behavioral issues - but medical causes always need to be ruled out first. An over the counter synthetic hormone diffuser called Feliway can be tried and has shown to help some cats with these type of behavioral issues.

I hope this helped you to understand the possible causes for your cats symptoms and make a decision in you course of further evaluation.

Let me know if you have any other questions and if you feel my answer was helpful - please leave a rating

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the response. I have tried all of these possible solutions to no avail. Is there anything else you can recommend? I won't rehome her, but I'm really tired of using Zero or Nature's Remedy on most of the horizontal surfaces in my house. I've used a pet behaviorist who suggested using incontinence pads and a shower curtain on the bed. That works when I'm gone, but doesn't solve the problem of her peeing on the bed when I'm in it. Help!
It sounds like you have gone through all the appropriate steps in trying to determine the cause of your cats problems. I am attaching a link for an article that goes in pretty good depth about things that can be tried and focused on. Unfortunately some cats persist with their behavior despite doing everything we can. If you have tried everything you may want to ask your vet about medications (prozac or buspirone) which can help in some cases.Here is the link http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/May-2012/Stop-Feline-Inappropriate-Elimination/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Craig Fujioka
Craig Fujioka
Craig Fujioka
Craig Fujioka, Cat Veterinarian