Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Originally had a fever and had stopped eating and drinking

Customer Question
and lost considerable weight. She...
originally had a fever and had stopped eating and drinking and lost considerable weight. She has had stones removed from her bladder before. She has had bladder infections before and has a skin allergy. Her initial blood test was normal. An x-ray didn't show anything. Vet put him on an antibiotic (injected two-week one), and prescribed appetite stimulant, Pepcid. Cat seemed to respond after about four days and started eating again. After antibiotic wore off, she got sick again and is lethargic and refuses to eat and drink. Took her back to vet for two days. She had an IV and was force-fed, but that's it. They had nothing to offer except bring her home and forcefeed her. It's not working. I just really feel like something has been missed. This cat has a history of allergies and bladder problems.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Jingles. Vet didn't say anything, doesn't refer to the original fever and illness that started the cat's decline. Vet did not put her on another course of antibiotics because she didn't have a fever this fourth time she was back to the vet. We have a foster kitten on cephalexin. He was lethargic and not eating for a day, and the shelter vet immediately put him on it and he was better the next day.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jingles?
Customer: When she was hospitalized for the two days this week, it was because she had jaundice. The vet is just treating symptoms, not saying anything about what could have caused the original illness.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are other cats in the household. One goes outside. This can has only been outside a few times. We had a foster mother cat who had seven kittens at the house that we kept until recently. The mother cat and kittens all tested negative for feline viruses.
We didn't notice Jingles was losing weight at first. So we don't know how long she was sick and not eating originally. I feel like we should try another course of antibiotics but the vet didn't think so. But at this point what can it hurt. The cat is going to die if we don't do something. We can get some food into her with a syringe, but not enough. And she isn't drinking at all. She missed the litter box when she got back from the hospital and her urine was very dark yellow/orange. Now she just wants to hide and is meowing pitifully. He fur is still very soft, though.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/11/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 1 year ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, and welcome.

I'm sorry Jingles has gone through so much. I can feel your frustration and understand completely.

I think at this point, your best next step is to have her seen by another local, well-recommended vet (feline-only), if possible, and get a second opinion. She may need another round of a different antibiotic, but the fact that her urine was very dark yellow/orange, her liver may have developed hepatic lipidosis, which is caused by not eating and the best treatment is to get her eating again, which seems to be very difficult. She should be on I.V. nutrition, in addition to fluids.

It might be advisable to bring her to an ER vet center, where the specialists have more experience in diagnosing and treating 'mystery' illnesses that your regular has missed.

If her liver is affected, some supplements like Denosyl or Denamarin may help.

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/cat/cat-liver-health/denosyl-for-cats

----------

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/cat/cat-liver-health/denamarin-for-cats

--------

Holistically, milk thistle is also good for treatment of liver issues. However, first, you need a definite diagnosis, so please try to have her seen by another vet or an ER vet/specialist asap so she can begin on the road to wellness......

I hope all will be well with Jingles!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist