Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is 16 and has hyper thyroid. she is not on meds. i

Customer Question
Hello, my cat is 16...
Hello, my cat is 16 and has hyper thyroid. she is not on meds. i gave her fish oil suppliment 500mg in her food yesterday at 7:30 pm. i think it's the problem now. I saw her at 5 am and her neck is swollen it seems. she can't walk for more than a few feet without putting her head down. She can't even look up. she is hunched over all the time. will these symptoms go away in a day or two, or should i seek immediate attention? she still eats n drinks and her breathing is fine. Susan
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/11/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian

Good Morning Susan and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This amount of fish oil supplement that you gave may be a bit too much and may have caused some issues. This reaction you see may be due to an electrolyte problem or arthritis that has been aggravated or an unstable disc in her back. Because it is hard to know, Susan, I would strongly recommend that you take her to your vet for an exam. If this is caused by a disc or arthritis unrelated to the fish oil, then treatment will ease her discomfort. It is better, Susan, at your sweet girl's age, to be safe and have your vet check her out.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dr. Loretta,Thanks for your response.She doesn't have any issues related to her back and such. I truely think its a reaction in her glads maybe? From the fish oil. And my question is about whether or not she will most likely clear up naturally or do you think this could esculate where there is a chance she would need an IV to flush the fish oil out. She is kinda taking it easy just laying about the house.

I agree, Susan, that this could be due to a slight overdose of the fish oil but without knowing for sure and considering her age, I would feel better if your vet examined her to determine if she will require an IV to flush her system before this would get worse. Any interruption in her electrolyte balance could be very hard on her especially since she is also hyperthyroid. Just a though, Susan....you can certainly keep an eye on her but if she does not respond soon, have your vet check her.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian