Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is a 12yo female, throws up bile with a small amount of

Customer Question
food. Very lethargic, eats and...
Cat is a 12yo female, throws up bile with a small amount of food. Very lethargic, eats and drinks small amounts if at all. No hair in her vomit. Seems to reposition herself very gingerly when laying down and stares quite a bit. Does seem to be in any pain when touched. I am cat sitting and don't know what to do for her/
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: nothing that I can think of. I don't know much about cats
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She will not even eat her treats
8/6/2016
Cat Veterinarian: stumvb, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
stumvb
stumvb, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, Dr. Stuart here, I'm a cat veterinarian in Ireland. Thank you for your question. Can I ask how long you have been cat-sitting and when did this start? Did the owners make you aware of any previous health problems with the cat?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been cat sitting about 4 days, it started 4 days ago, no health problems that I know of. She just ate about half a tablespoon of wet cat food and she has held it down about 15 min now

Great, thanks for that. Does she have a litter tray and has she passed feces while you've had her? If so, did they seem normal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she has been pooping about every other day and peeing about 2 or 3 times a day.

OK, there are a few things that could be going on with her. As you have mentioned there is no hair in her vomit then we can probably rule out a hairball as the problem, particularly as this has been going on for several days now. Simple gastritis would be a possibility, which would settle after a 12-24 hours period of fasting, but from your description I don't think it is as straightforward as that.

The fact that she appears a little uneasy and is repositioning herself would suggest abdominal discomfort. This is often very difficult to determine for yourself at home, even with gentle probing of her abdomen.

Her demeanour and her age would suggest that one or other of the following would be more likely

Pancreatitis is extremely common, causing vomiting, lethargy, and abdominal discomfort.

Liver disorders are again common in older cats, and are often first seen as vomiting.

In either case, I'm afraid it would be very important that she be seen by a veterinarian and most likely admitted for intensive treatment. Trying to manage her at home would run the risk of dehydration and potentially hepatic lipidosis, a common sequel to this problems, and something which is much more difficult to treat.

Do you have contact details for her regular vet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will take her in to the local vet since it isn't my cat and don't want anything bad to happen on my watch

I'm sure you would prefer not to have to tell the owners there is a problem, but they will appreciate the fact that you have made the effort to have her cared for. Most veterinary practices will be understanding of the fact that you are in a difficult situation

I would suggest getting the vet to ring her owner if possible after she is examined to keep them in the loop, to get consent for treatment, and also to make sure you are not going to be the one held responsible for any costs. I hope I've been of some help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Went to Vet, Pancreatitis, she is on Meds and looks to be feeling better. thanks
Thank you so much for the update, it's great to hear she's improving. Well done for getting her sorted out after finding yourself in an awkward situation.
Thanks for your custom.
Stuart
I see the charge for this consultation remains outstanding, I would appreciate if you could settle it as soon as possible. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My CC was already charged thank you.

My apologies, have you clicked to accept my response? It's not clearing from my list here.

stumvb
stumvb
stumvb, Cat Veterinarian