Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat was spayed today and seemed to be acting alright when

Customer Question
I brought her home. It's...
My cat was spayed today and seemed to be acting alright when I brought her home. It's been about 4 hours that she's been home and is now having problems with her eyes. She can't open one and the other is halfway open and watery. Is this normal since they lubricate their eyes before surgery?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/5/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your kitty is having eye problems tonight. Your vet should have lubricated her eyes prior to surgery, but sometimes after surgery they will have reduced tear production from the pain medications given. I would recommend using a cotton ball soaked in cool water to clean her eyes and see if that helps. If her eyes become watery again, you can try applying human over-the-counter eye lubricating drops.

If they are still dry and goopy in the morning, I would recommend calling your vet to see if they want to see her or send home any medicated eye cream.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How are your kitty's eyes this evening? Are they still goopy? What treatments did you try?

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian