Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My Cat got into the garbage and ate old chicken and has been

Customer Question

My Cat got into the garbage and ate old chicken nuggets and has been constantly vomiting since yesterday, should I take him to the vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Anything else he could have eaten (ie bones, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His throw up is pretty watery, his gums and pale and moist. His belly isn't bothering him when I press on it he eats plants we have around the house. He hasn't really had diarrhea.. he has just threw up again and it looks like it could be flem/spit. He isn't as playful as he usually is and is meowing a lot. I'm super worried and not sure what to do..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I would just note to take care what plants he has access to. Many are not cat friendly and can actually worsen gut upset (if nothing more serious). As well, if there is any chance of him eating anything more then the old chicken nuggets and we may need to think about having him seen by his vet. Otherwise, we do need to see if we can settle his poor stomach.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, when we have a profusely vomiting cat, we need to tread with care to avoid dehydration or complications with their livers. So, at this point, we can try the above for your lad. Of course, if he cannot keep the above down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 8-12 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, make sure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be and bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jessica Miller. How is everything going?

Dr. B.