Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Older cat is ill (Lymphoma) and younger cat is now being

Customer Question

Older cat is ill (Lymphoma) and younger cat is now being more aggressive with her.. (she is already cranky in mood).. My vet tried Xanax for my younger one, and reacted horribly to .5 mg, wobbly and very agitated. I want my older cat to have some quality of life for the time she has left, don't know what to do with my younger boy. She was the "alpha" in the pair.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: He is wobbly in walking still, can't jump, and "crying" a lot. (Siamese). Called my vet and he said it will eventually wear off.. But I still have the problem with how he is treating my older cat. He walks right up to her and sticks his nose in the lump.. he seems to know something is wrong. Not mean exactly, but she will go after him after a minute or two.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Siamese?
Customer: He is much much better ambulation wise than this morning, it just needs to wear off I believe. I did talk to my vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about both of your cats. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I see the younger cat is doing better. That is good news. There is no antidote or reversal drug for Xanax, you do just have to wait for it to wear off so I am glad his ambulation is better.

Is the older cat being treated for lymphoma, with any drugs or medication? Or are you just doing hospice type care?

You can try stress reducing pheromones like Feliway. They come as diffusers you can plug into a wall socket. It can only be smelled by cats, and has a calming effect. Herbal products like Rescue Remedy, Composure or Stress Away may help.

Try to distract the younger cat with interactive toys, catnip, etc. to give him something to do rather than bother the older cat.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Let me know how the cats are doing and if this was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I always wonder when I don't hear back from a customer if my response was heard, or was helpful. I hope your cat is better!