Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

A feral cat just had a litter. this is likely her 6th or 7th

Customer Question
and she is about 7...
a feral cat just had a litter. this is likely her 6th or 7th and she is about 7 years old. she had the litter two days ago and she is not returning to the kittens (she had them out in the wooded area near our home) which is not like her at all. she was always a doting mother with her other kittens. she looks weak; her abdomen is still swollen and her teats are red and swollen. is it possible she has not delivered all her kittens? she is eating and drinking but does not look good; her breathing is a bit labored.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/29/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

I have to say that I am quite worried about this lass.

If she has always been a good mother but avoiding her kittens, then we'd be worried that she is withdrawing from them as not to risk them suffering with what is making her unwell. Now swollen mammary glands are not a surprise as she should have milk for her kittens, but if the are red we'd be concerned about a mastitis infection. This can make the glands too sore for her to nurse the kittens and infection can make the milk undrinkable for them. That said, the abdominal distension worries me more. It is possible there is a retained stillborn or placental in her uterus causing systemic troubles. We could also have a metritis from infection getting into the uterus or there are other opportunistic diseases (ie FIP, bacterial peritonitis, etc)that could fit with what we are seeing. And as most of these concerns are infections, they can spread into the bloodstream to make them feel even more unwell and even cause fatalities.

In this case, if she is abandoning them, you may need to collect them and start hand feeding. If they are quite young then they will be impressionable and you may be able to domesticate them with a view to adopting them out once they are weaned. Otherwise, if she is weak, then we'd really want to try to catch her. If she is eating, you can put her food in a humane trap (most cat charities or vets can loan you one) so that you can get her to your vet. That way you can determine which issue is present and potentially help her. Or if, goodness forbid she has FIP or is too poorly to recover, then at least you can keep her from suffering as she is at the moment.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian