Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Red open sore on cats back/side. Cat doesn't want to eat and

Customer Question
seems lethargic. JA: I'm sorry to...
Red open sore on cats back/side. Cat doesn't want to eat and seems lethargic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Sore is circular and red but orherwise looks clean
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/29/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your cat. Can you take a picture of it and post it? How long has this sore been there? How old is this cat? What is his / her name?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you get the pictures?

Sorry for my delay. I got the picture. How long has that sore been present? It honestly looks like something cut her there. It doesn't look old and infected - like say an abscess would. I see some that look very similar where someone tries to cut a mat out of the fur and accidentally gets the skin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We only noticed it today... She has been staying in the basement a lot of the time. I know my wife just combed her and that's when the sore was discovered. She isn't eating any treats today but she did yesterday. She is acting very lethargic and has loss of appetite today. She has been thinning a bit the past couple weeks but without any signs of jaundice. What should we do?

I would be curious if she caught that area on something sharp and it tore the skin. That wound is big enough that a veterinarian needs to be involved with helping it heal. Ideally it would be seen right now by an ER clinic / your vet to have the best chance of cleaning it up and possibly suturing it. It may be saturable in the morning too. Some may get dried out and not be as ideal in that time frame. With her becoming more thin and her age, I would say that doing some blood work on her to screen for diabetes, hyperthyroidism and chronic renal disease is a good jumping in point for that issue. With her wound, it most likely is causing discomfort and when it is treated, I would hope she starts to act more herself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has not been meowing which is very uncommon for her... Her mood seems very depressed. We did recently have a family of four move in with us temporarily. Please, any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Her environment itself has changed with the new people there and that can absolutely throw some cats off. As far as the wound, I would again be curious she tried to walk / under something and it caught her and caused this wound.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian