Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Cat just ate 20mg Cymbalta. Is a male, 10 pounds and 1 year.

Customer Question

Cat just ate 20 mg Cymbalta. The cat is male, 10 pounds, 1 year
Additional Information: His name is Jax
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
1.This is very likely to be a toxic dose for your cat, therefore you have to act now
2.One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your cat sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK {Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs}
3.However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your cat checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include sedation or central nervous system (CNS) stimulation, anorexia, and lethargy. We can also see sedation, vomiting, diarrhea, tremoring, seizures, hyperthermia, abdominal pain, and dilated pupils.
4.Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We are going to take him to a local emergency vet.
Well done, I am so glad you are going down that route. Tell the ER vet that toxicity for Cymbalta in the cat can occur at dose levels in excess of 1 mg per pound of the cat's body weight but some cats are susceptible to side effects at lower doses.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?