Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Someone dropped 2 kittens off at our house in country one

Customer Question
Someone dropped 2 kittens off...
Someone dropped 2 kittens off at our house in country one has a horrible looking eye its all puss covered i can not afford to take these stay cats to vet is there anything i can do for it i feel so bad for it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/19/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear about these babies' rough start in life. Do you have any idea how old these kittens are? are their eyes open or closed? You can apply a warm compress to the bad eye to clean it up and help get the puss out of the way so you can see it better. Are you able to take a picture and send it to me? I may be able to be more helpful if i can see it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im guessing 6 weeks there eyes are open my picture wont load
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i might be able to send one on my phone if i have phone number

you can clean the eyes with warn water and a soft cloth. If there is nasal discharge you can use saline drips to break up the mucus and help them breathe better and you can put them in a steamy bathroom to help clear discharge as well. Since the eyes are open we do not need to open them which is good as that can be tricky. You can use regular saline eye irrigation to clean around the eyes as well as this will not hurt if it gets in the eye. Since cats with upper respiratory infections cannot smell very well, you can heat up their food and offer it to them by hand to encourage them to eat. There is an antibiotic eye ointment that is available over the counter in some pet stores or feed stores called Terramycin. This can be used in the eyes 3-4 times a day to help prevent secondary bacterial infection. Most of the time this is caused by a virus but secondary bacterial infections can be present as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i will try to find medicine and treat i cant afford a vet trip but i do want to help it i only work for 8.25 a hour one visit could take my whole check

Most upper respiratory infections in cats are viral so antibiotics are not helpful. Antibiotics are only helpful if there is a secondary bacterial infection. Even so, most cats will be able to fight this off themselves with proper supportive care.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition further please feel free to let me know. Sounds like they were lucky to have found you!

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he or she seems fine juST a bad eye they are eating fine

Then they are in good shape. Clean the eye with warm water and a soft cloth and I bet that they will feel much better.

One more thought....At this age, you can feed them regular kitten food. You can soften a dry food with warm water or feed them canned food. They should not need to be bottle fed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you

You're welcome.

I noticed that you have not yet accepted the answer I gave. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian