Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is losing weight, not eating and having trouble

Customer Question
breathing. He keeps acting...
my cat is losing weight, not eating and having trouble breathing. He keeps acting like he needs to get out a hairball.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/14/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

About how much weight has he lost?

When was the last time he ate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has been going on for about 7-10 days. He has lost about 3 pounds and he is a big cat. He ate a few treats this morning. I gave him some catnip also and he laid in that and liked at some of it. He did drink a little water this morning. Otherwise, he just lays and sleeps. His nose is dry and a little warm.

Thanks for the information. The trouble breathing sounds like it may be the bigger concern at this point because the weight loss may have been from not eating well enough. The problem with the not eating, though, is that when a cat starts to burn their fat stores, their liver cannot handle the metabolism of a lot of fat and ends up shutting down, which can create more severe problems. This can happen in as little as 3 days of anorexia. The breathing has me concerned about a few things. Feline asthma is a common cause, but you can get similar symptoms with other things that cause lung inflammation, such as heart worm disease (even indoor only cats can get heart worms, especially in endemic areas) and lung worms. Heart problems (especially congestive heart failure) and lung tumors can cause breathing problems as well. If you notice that when he breathes, his lungs expand and abdomen contract and vice versa, the problem most likely is happening outside the lungs in the chest cavity. That usually means fluid buildup from right sided heart failure, infection, a mass in the chest cavity or a problem with lymphatic drainage. Trouble breathing is usually a serious concern in cats because that is the first organ to fail when they go into shock. I would highly recommend getting him to your vet ASAP to get an exam, blood work and potential x-rays of the chest. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian