Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I think she jumped over a gate and landed on the steps on

Customer Question

I think she jumped over a gate and landed on the steps on the other side a couple of hours ago. When I finally found her, she had dragged herself up the ramp to the deck and was waiting by the door, but couldn't get up to come in. I picked her up and brought her in and she will try to walk, but only makes it a step or two and then her back end collapses. She has dragged herself around the living room rug and has now found a comfortable place with her shoulder up on the base of a floor lamp. Should I crate her for the night, or just leave her where she is?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: read the message
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** and she is about 6.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sweet?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sweet Pea. Please crate her so she can't drag herself around and hurt herself further. She's acting as if her spine, hips and/or pelvis have been injured. Her vet will want to X-ray those areas tomorrow. For now, one dose of aspirin (not acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen) at 5mg/lb should be helpful.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?