Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

G a reaction to the rabie and leukemia vaccine given at same

Customer Question

g a reaction to the rabie and leukemia vaccine given at same time
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Tina,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How soon after vaccination did problems occur?

2. What symptoms are you seeing?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hee vaccines were done on 6/24.. she did not have a bowel movement for 5 days.. .. it was a very bad vet visit. She was traumatized waiting an hour and half. They put both in her back legs. She bit the vet... she is still eating and drinking and has finally had a movement. . I had to go get lactose from vet.. she just lays around.. she doesn't play.. she cries alot.. she is not herself.. I dont know what to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is very lathargic. .

Hello again Tina,

Sorry to hear Stevie was stressed and is still a bit unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Vaccine reactions can and indeed occasionally do occur in the cat, these generally take two forms in my expereince.

A. Serious anaphylactic reactions : These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your cat would have been in extremis or collapsed. { Obviously we can now discount this in your case. }

B. Mild reactions : These are fairly common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than a couple of days, you may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given. Other cats go on to develop a mild fever and reduced appetite plus lethargy and sometimes other symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea. Usually there is no particular treatment needed, just good nursing and general support as the cat comes through it.

2. While what you describe with Stevie does sound very like a mild vaccine reaction, but given the time scale this should have passed quite a few days ago. The ongoing symptoms you describe particularly the lethargy are quite a cause for concern so although she obviously hates the vet your best plan is to have her checked over again.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can hope to do on a home remedy basis for a cat with these symptoms ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's unfortunate. . I will call them again tomorrow. . But I will have to do another vet.. that does home care.. she was a Farrel cat when I got her. So she is timid around strangers.. I can't risk of her being more stressed out.. and on top of that we r moving this weekend which will add to the stress. I'm just very worried about her.

Hello again Tina,

I so wish I could suggest a quick fix for Stevie right now, sadly this is just not possible, but your thought of having a vet visit sounds like a very good idea.

Please let me know how you get on ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will. . Thanks for advise. Will the vet be able to do anything for her.. ?

Well where I have personally dealt with this sort of case over the years I sometimes found that where there are no obvious underlying causes a vitamin B12 injection seems to quickly perk them up. There are safe prescription pain killers which a vet can give and this may help as well, human over the counter pain killers can be very toxic to cats by the way. Other cats may benefit from a course of antibiotics.

Where I have been in doubt about such cases I often ran a blood test ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

No problem, glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Tina,

I am just checking back in to see how Stevie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect vaccine reaction ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Tina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stevie. How is everything going?