Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My male cat, 5 yrs old, had very loose bowel movements

Customer Question

My male cat, 5 yrs old, had very loose bowel movements yesterday. He hid under the bed until last night and had no interest in eating. His behind kept looking wet, or as if the hair is stuck together a little. He spent the night on the bed with me. Today he drank a little water, but still has not eaten. A little while ago I noticed when he got up from lying down, that there were clear liquid spots. When I cleaned it up with a paper towel, it seemed mucous-y. Totally clear. No vets open here on weekend.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Gilly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gaily?
Customer: Gilly and his two siblings had a feral mom. He weighs about 15 pounds.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Gilly has clear liquid debris coming from his anus. This likely indicates mucous in his stools. Mucous is produced by the colon in response to irritation.

Is there any blood in his stool?

This can certainly be from eating things he should not, a quick change in diet or gastrointestinal parasites.
If he is feeling poorly otherwise, especially if he has had weight loss I would be very concerned about internal organ disease, kidney or liver disease or diabetes, hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland), inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.
You can try feeding a low irritant, high fiber, homemade diet for a few days. You can make this by boiling white, skinless chicken and mixing that with boiled white rice, 2/3 chicken and 1/3 rice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain pumpkin) to each meal to add fiber and soothe his colon.
If the mucous resolves with this diet after 3 to 4 days start mixing in his regular diet, a little more at each meal. It should take 5 to 7 days to transition him back to his regular diet.
If his stools are bloody as well, he refuses to eat for more than 3 days, starts vomiting or gets febrile (rectal temperature greater than 103.5F) or begins vomiting then he needs to see a veterinarian on an emergency basis.
You might also try a probiotic like Fortiflora or Proviable designed for cats.
Make sure to submit a fresh stool sample to his veterinarian for testing for parasites even if things seem to improve, as parasites are a common cause of colitis.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****