Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

He liked a small although of remaining ice cream and syrup

Customer Question

he liked a small although of remaining ice cream and syrup from a dish. he has already thrown up, but has been having hair balls with the hot weather and grooming. we gave him hairball stuff last week for that
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that we are aware of
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: boots and he is probably 5 years old. in good health, a bit overwgt but tall
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boots?
Customer: he is a very pampered cat, doesn't usually eat people food other than an occasional crumb of chicken or turkey, doesn't like fish or seafood
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

While our lactose-intolerant cats might experience transient gastrointestinal distress after ingesting ice cream, Boots wasn't intoxicated and there's no reason to induce more vomiting or treat him in any manner other than not doing. In other words, fasting him for 6 hours but leaving water down for him to drink should suffice. If drinking induces more vomiting, please replace his water with ice cubes for him to lick.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.