Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

Our 3 month old kitten has rapid weight loss, very

Customer Question

Hi our 3 month old kitten has rapid weight loss, very lethargic, unsteady had potty accident, no diarhea or fever or vomiting, vet couldnt find anything wrong did xrays has no coughing or mucas issue, very unsteady and weak
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to assist you and your kitten. I'd like to ask a few additional questions to better assess the situation.

1. Just to cover all bases, has he had his initial kitten vaccines, FeLV/FIV test, fecal testing and deworming?

2. How is his appetite?

3. Any blood work done when you went in?

4. Was the potty accident urine or feces?

Thank you, ***** ***** forward to helping you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was a urine accident just peed on floor outside his nox, never had another accident..no vaccines yet, had no fever at Vet office ..haf no appetite at all but last day or so he has eaten a small amount..they gave him iv fluid at Vets, i think they took blood but didnt run unless he was worse maybe..he is not worse but very slowly getting a lil better. Is usually very spunky but seems like he can hardly walk..very unsteady...no vomit diarhea or coughing

When he left the vet's office after the IV fluids, did they give him any anti-vomiting medication? Did they send you home with any meds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No meds and he hasnt been vomiting

When a kitty has no appetite, we wonder if they are nauseated. They won't always vomit when they are like that. It would not be wrong to trial anti-nausea meds anyway, to see if that is part of the problem.

Given the rapid weight loss & no appetite, the possibilities are broad, but my first concern is intestinal parasites. If he has not had a fecal sample evaluated and has not been given a broad spectrum dewormer, that is where I would start. I would also want to have baseline blood work that includes a FeLV/FIV test.

If he had a virus known as FIP, I would expect his x ray to have shown fluid in his chest and belly, so it is unlikely. Panleukopenia is also possible, it causes kittens to just become sicker and sicker. It can be tested by actually using a dog Parvo virus test.

I apologize I cannot give you more concrete answers, but hopefully I have armed you with information to help guide decisions by your veterinarian.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing pointing to anything specific? What about possible poison? I saw amaryllis can be poisonous

Unfortunately, rapid weight loss and lack of appeitite are vague symptoms that can be linked to multiple diseases/problems. Typically, when they have ingested something poisonous, one of two things occur: 1. there will be abnormalities on blood work like liver or kidney elevations 2. They will have tummy upset (vomiting/diarrhea/inappetance) for 1-2 days that supportive care will treat.

If the vet has not run the blood, I would ask them to. A full panel and FeLV/FIV test is the next best step for your kitty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i appreciate your input o lnow nothing more than i did at the start of our conversation...do i still have to pay?

I apologize that you feel you did not gain anything from our conversation. I provided several diagnostic options that it seems your vet has not yet performed. There is unfortunately only so much we can do via a messaging system, without having all of the diagnostics and tests your vet has already run. I am happy to opt out and let you see if another veterinarian can provide additional input for you.

Typically, when they have ingested something poisonous, one of two things occur: 1. there will be abnormalities on blood work like liver or kidney elevations 2. They will have tummy upset (vomiting/diarrhea/inappetance) for 1-2 days that supportive care will treat.