Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Mom's old cat is dying and in pain. How can we make her

Customer Question
comfortable until vet's office is...
Mom's old cat is dying and in pain. How can we make her comfortable until vet's office is open tomorrow?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: not really. she's just crying a lot and we have known for weeks she's not going to last much longer but much worse and no vets in town are open.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/4/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Christi Belew, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to try to help. Unfortunately, by law, I cannot prescribe any medication since I have not done a hands on exam of the cat. However I can provide some suggestions to ease the kitty until she is seen.

Most old kitties who are at the end of their life have very low body temperatures. You can place her on a heating pad set on low (place a blanket or towel on top of the heating pad and flip the kitty every 2 hours to make sure one side isn't getting too hot). About the only thing you can give that is over the counter to help provide some sleepiness is Benadryl at 1 mg per pound. It won't help the pain, but it may make her sleepy enough to not notice the pain.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (that is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, that didn't help as I didn't know you even responded yet, and came back to my computer to say that the cat just passed away and I wanted to withdraw my question and get my refundable deposit back.

I am so sorry! I will flag this for the admins to handle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! I don't want it to reflect on you, it just took too long for an answer. Sad that it happened on a day when no local vets were available.
Christi Belew
Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian