Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My nine week old kitten had diarrhoea so my vet gave me some

Customer Question

My nine week old kitten had diarrhoea so my vet gave me some pink liquid to line the tummy .it worked now my kitten hasn't had a bowel movement in three days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Ginger
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?
Customer: No she is running around healthy and eating.and also drinking from her mom.she is a Persian chinchilla.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Do you feel that Ginger is still eating and drinking normally? Has she been urinating normally? Has she been posturing to go and having nothing come out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is trying to go forcing but nothing in the litter box
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

So she's actually posturing, staying in that position and getting nothing out? Has she been urinating? Is she still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do to help her poop
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry of army delay. As far helping her to defecate, these situations are difficult for owners at home to deal with. The one huge issue is to differentiate between constipation (trying to go and not getting stool out) and having colon inflammation where there is irritation in the colon and there really isn't any stools there to get out. I'd be curious to know when she last had the diarrhea as it would seem very unlikely for her to become constipated in a few days of being on the medication. Sometimes when diarrhea is resolved, they won't have stools for a few days as the stools are actually building up and waiting to have enough to pass. If there is constipation, then an enema is needed to soften the stools up. This isn't something that I feel an owner can do at home as there is some risk to the process being done.