Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Ive been house sitting friend who is out of town. Basically

Customer Question
Ive been house sitting for...
Ive been house sitting for a friend who is out of town. Basically i stop by to feed thier cats and i go on my way. The last few times ive been there i noticed a foul smell coming from one of the cats and i thought it defecated on itself because it was brown near its rear. So i washed it up a little and the hair just fell away from the skin.the smell is horrific. Im in the middle of finding a vet to take it to but i need to have a general idea of what im dealing with. I can share pics if needed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Are you able to converse here with me now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i am
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is losing hair near the base of her tail and shes lethargic

OK, good. It sounds like you are most likely dealing with a ruptured abscess (collection of pus beneath the skin). If it is under her tail next to the anus- it could be due to an infected anal gland. The other cause of abscesses commonly seen in cats is through bite wounds- most often from another cat, or wild animal if she goes outdoors. Take her in for an exam, and they will be able to tell what the cause is, and will likely start her on some antibiotics and pain medication, and fluids if she has a fever and/or is dehydrated. Depending on the size of the wound, she may need to be anesthetized for it to be debrided.

I hope this has helped! Do you have any other questions at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No its not an abcess. Ive dealt with cat abcesses many times. And it is near her back by her tail. I can send you a picture if that would help better

Yes, you can certainly upload photos. Does she go outdoors?

Thank you for the photo! It certainly looks like a ruptured abscess to me. The other possibility is a severe skin infection where the pus was trapped beneath the fur rather than her skin. She definitely needs to be seen ASAP to get treated- which I know you are working on. If she goes outdoors, I would be concerned about the wound getting infested with maggots from flies laying eggs on the wound- so she will need to stay in until it is fully healed. Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is indoors cat

OK, good. Anything else I can help with right now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should i try to clean it with water or saline?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also is this life threatening or what are the possibilities if she isnt able to get immediate care

The best thing would be to get her in to a veterinarian ASAP- I would not wait longer than 12 hours since she is lethargic, and likely has a fever. If she is not eating or drinking- this could cause complications in addition to the primary problem.

If you are not able to get her seen tonight- you could try to clean it. The easiest way would be to get her in the sink, and let lukewarm water flow over it for 10 minutes or so, then pat it dry. She is going to need antibiotics, and potentially surgical debridement of the wound.

Can I help with anything else at this time?

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Hi! Just wanted to check in and see how your kitty is doing?

Hi Shanda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian