Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our cat has either fleas or mites. We adopted her from

Customer Question

Our cat has either fleas or mites. We adopted her from humane society and they said they had given her a flea bath. Everything seemed fine and now we came home from vacation to find her full of whatever they are. We got some diatomasceas earth powder from our healthy living store and powder her with it twice a day. Seems to be working but now we are spreading it on furniture and carpeting. Is there anything else we can do naturally without introducing harmful chemicals.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello Gary. This is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry to hear that your kitten has fleas. Fleas multiply very quickly in homes, breeding hundreds of eggs every 24 hrs and also can carry disease that afflicts pets. Cats in particular are especially at risk for becoming ill from these disease spreading parasites.

To answer your question, there are no natural remedies that work for fleas unfortunately. Which is why companies have poured billions of dollars into products that are effective to stop the spread of disease. We finally have products that are safe in most pets and I for one would prefer to use these products instead of exposing my pet to fleas and the diseases they carry.

Let me know if you received my reply and wish to discuss some of the safer products on the market that I recommend for Crimson.

- Dr. H