Dr. M. Brink
Dr. M. Brink, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and BSc (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)
94581128

My cat has had a mouth virus. My vet said it was quite

Customer Question

My cat has had a mouth virus. My vet said it was quite common in feral cats, which my cat was before I adopted her. My vet cleaned her teeth, and some had to be pulled. He recommended brushing her teeth, but it is nearly an impossible task, as she fights to get away from me. Is there a solution to this problem such as chew treats?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. M. Brink replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am Dr. Brink, and I will do my best to give you information to help care for your cat's teeth!

First, it is important to ensure that your cat's mouth has healed and is no longer painful before you start anything to help prevent dental disease from returning. If you cat seems painful, you should have you veterinarian look in her mouth to ensure everything that healed well after her teeth were removed.

If all that checks out well, then there are a number of different products available to help slow down tarter formation. 1. There are 2 cat diets (Hill's t/d and Royal Canin Dental) that have a lot of research behind them proving they slow down dental disease! Call your vet and make sure that type of nutrition is appropriate for your cat! If so, blend her over slowly to it to prevent an upset stomach. 2.There are VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) Accepted treats. The most popular ones for cats are by Greenies, and that VOHC seal means that there is adequate research proving the product works. If a dental treat doesn't have that seal on it, I likely wouldn't waste my money on it! 3. Brushing is by far the most helpful, and sometimes really slow, step by step training on accepting having it done is what a cat needs. Start by handling the face while feeding delicious treats, when they love that (it may take 5 minutes or it may take days) then move on to handling the lips, then start lifting the lips, then start touching their teeth with your finger, then use a gentle cloth with cat toothpaste on it around their face and then on their teeth, and then you can try a finger brush or a cat toothbrush. This process will require patience, and you need to make sure that you don't push your cat too far or else all your hard work will be in vain! Short and frequent training sessions, paired with something your cat loves will be the best way to approach brushing!

http://www.vohc.org/accepted_products.htm​ Here is a link for you to read more information about products!

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and kindly rate my answer as that is the only way that I receive compensation for my time and expertise! Have a great day!

Hi Christine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tori. How is everything going?

Dr. M. Brink