How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 21419
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One year old Birman ate normal supper of 3.5oz food. Later

Customer Question

One year old Birman ate normal supper of 3.5oz food. Later on in evening somehow he caught a mouse swallowed it whole then vomited mouse back up along with all the food. Since then in last 3-4 hrs pink blood tinged liquid with vomit. Obviously upset his entire system. I was able to give 1/4 tablet famotidine with a few drops of water he drank. This is first occurrence of swallowing a mouse. Trying to wait till morning in 3 hrs to take to cat vet. Ok to wait?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor lad!

Based on what you have reported, it does sound like the mouse didn't agree with him or may have irritated or mildly traumatized the gut and throat on the way back up. In regards ***** ***** question, you have done right to give him the Famotidine and otherwise we'd want to let him rest a few hours. Sips of water are ok to offer, but we don't want to force them. And as long as his belly isn't sore, his breathing is comfortable, his gums stay as pink as they are now and the vomit is pink tinged (not pure blood), you can wait and monitor with a view to having him seen once his vet is open.

Please take care,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very very long day. Got to vet when opened. Gave him injection for nausea and SQ fluids. X-ray clear of any blockage Went home and not more than 10 min home he vomited about 1/8 cup of bright red blood. Back to vet and under observation all day. Lab work sent out. Got home this evening and he vomited again but this time dark digested blood. Not too much. Called vet. Ok to give the Carafate and then he slept 2-3 hrs. Just tried to get another Pepcid down him. He really does not want to have anything in his mouth. Can't blame him.
I did appreciate you verifying my gut feeling about what to do this morning but honestly probably not worth $22. I had to spend almost $500 today alone. Just very hard. But I guess knowing someone with expertise assuring me that I wasn't causing an early death was helpful. I need to just trust my own instincts! Thank you just the same. Lois
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am sorry to hear that he has had such a rough day.

As well, I am sorry you don't feel having professional reassurance (and ensuring you weren't in a position where monitoring could have been detrimental) is worth the website's fee. Since you have noted this, I will pass your question back to customer service as they can handle any adjustments of that nature.

Take care,

Dr. B.