Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 2 y/o DSH neutered male with a 2 day story of

Customer Question
I have a 2 y/o...
I have a 2 y/o DSH neutered male with a 2 day history of vomiting and diarrhea (more episodes of diarrhea than vomiting). Started acutely after eating breakfast Monday morning. Multiple episodes of diarrhea mixed with clear mucus. Today, spiked a fever to 105F and when he defecates, it's pure white-ish/clear mucus. Vomited twice today (bile). Noticed that a small amount of mucus oozes from his anus while he's at rest (not straining at all). Quite lethargic. I gave a 150 cc SQ fluid bolus of Lactated Ringer's this morning but he doesn't seem to be absorbing it well (some is still pooled in the extravascular tissue of both his forelegs. We've been treating him with the help of a homeopathic vet and have seen a slight improvement today (he's been drinking water on his own) and walking around the house for short periods of time. His belly is soft but he appears painful when he is picked up. No known foreign body ingestions. Is purely indoors and an only cat. We adopted him 2 months ago. Does have a history of contracting calicivirus while in the animal shelter. In my mind, dfferential includes: colitis, pancreatitis, foreign body ingestion and/or viral illness. Thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: He did have an episode of repeated vomiting/diarrhea about 2-3 weeks ago. We were feeding him raw at that time. Vet thought it might be an allergy to the raw food because he was otherwise acting normal at that time despite the vomiting and diarrhea (was only vomiting solids but was able to keep fluids down at that time). We switched him to a high quality wet food after that and things improved, until now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2016
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How high is the temperature on this boy now?
2) Have antibiotics been started?

Something to add to your list a ruleouts is a condition known as FIP. This is acquired as the corona virus which commonly happens in shelter situations and weeks or months later, a cat can develop symptoms. This can be a slow onset which almost always involves GI concerns and a fever. http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_ftp.cfm I would keep my eyes peeled for other symptoms that suggest this virus as it tends to be lethal even if treated quickly and aggressively.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian