Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We have a 13 year old Calico female who is headed over the

Customer Question
Hi - we have a...
Hi - we have a 13 year old Calico female who is headed over the rainbow soon. We are not "putting her" down because she does not appear in pain and still eats and drinks and poops. But for several weeks her nose has gotten stuffed up and we clear it with cloths and saline. Now we are having to clear her nasal passages constantly. Is there some prescription we can give her to keep those nose passages clear? When we clean her nose and she can breathe well she is so much better. If we don't clean her nose she has great difficulty breathing and just lies there.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/28/2016
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Can you describe the nasal discharge? Is it yellow or green in color before it dries up into a crust on her nose?

Is she sneezing?

Has she been evaluated by your vet for this yet?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi - Both yellow and green. Her nose crusts up very rapidly and we have to clean constantly.Yes, she sneezes after we clean her nose. Yes, we had her evaluated by a vet 4 months ago and it cost us over $2000 in tests and overnight stay. They couldn't find anything wrong except she's old. You know all the stuff - passes a lot of urine, drinks a lot. The kidney thing. We have had many, many cats over the years. So it's clear she's on her way out. We just wanted her nose to be clear so she can be comfortable. Sometimes after we clean her nose she gets up, gets something to eat, goes on the porch for sun - almost like she's okay. But we know this nose thing is going to expedite her passing. Is there a prescription for this type of thing so we don't have to clear her nose 12 times a day? Thanks, Janice

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian