Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has Chronic Kidney Disease- diagnosed in November.

Customer Question
Her creatinine has remained pretty...
My cat has Chronic Kidney Disease- diagnosed in November. Her creatinine has remained pretty consistent around 3. I just noticed 2 little black spots on her tongue, which I hadn't noticed before. She is acting fine but was wondering if the black spots mean something related to CKD.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sparkle, 12.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sparkle?
Customer: She has a subcutaneous ureteral bypass device. We also give her fluids every other day or so- around 50 ml.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/26/2016
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Sparkle today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Does she have a stone in the ureter? Is that why she has the bypass?

What color is Sparkle? Is she orange, torti or calico?

Does she have pigmentation on her eyelids, nose or other parts of her mouth as well? Spots that look like freckles?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. Sparkle did have stones in both of her ureters originally. That is why we had the device placed.
Sparkle is a long haired black cat.
No other pigmentation other than the spot on her tongue that I see. When I first looked, the spots looked like a tiny ink spot on her tongue. I just looked again and perhaps from me trying to open her mouth so much but now the black spots seem less black and the middle of her tongue looks a little pale.Not sure if this is something I should be concerned about or if I'm just being over cautious.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The reason I asked about the coloring is that many cats that have tie orange color gene will develop freckles on or in the mouth. It is not to say that other color pattern cats don't but those just seem to do much more frequently.

Trying to use the coloring of the tongue and gums of a cat's mouth can be deceiving and I have been fooled many times. If something seems abnormal, it is best to see if it stays that way or is repeatable at a later time. I have seen many cats that appear to be pale, but then if they get up and move around, their color returns back to normal. As far as dark spots, if they persist, you may want to have them looked at by your vet, but I can think of no association to any sort of kidney dysfunction so I think it is an incidental finding.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian