Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 13 or 14 year old cat is not eating and getting quite

Customer Question
thin. I have been through...
My 13 or 14 year old cat is not eating and getting quite thin. I have been through old age and death with 10 previous cats in my lifetime, so l suspect that's what is going on. BUT.....since cats are so enigmatic, I would like to think it's something else, which going to the veterinarian would help. Cat is listless, meowing a lot, seems to be very interested in eating but only licks the wet food. What do you think? I don't want to stress her out with a trip to the vvet if it would not be productive. She was a homeless cat that adopted me 13 years ago and never left and has lived 100% inside tinside. Thank you.
***** ***** ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/16/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi Carolyn. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. I would like to encourage that trip to your veterinarian. I know the trip to the vet's office can be a stressful one for any patient. In this situation, the potential benefits of it would definitely outweigh the stress of the trip. Your vet will be able to do a good physical exam on her and do some blood work / x-rays to determine what is the underlying cause for the decreased appetite and weight loss. Could this be something that has some very good treatment options like diabetes or hyperthyroidism? Could it be something where things can be done to help her out and deal with an issue like chronic renal disease or cancer? These are the considerations that I have. Overall, your vet has the ability, tests, and treatments available to help give her the chance to be with you longer in a healthier state. They are going to do their best for her.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian