Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our cat went blind from glaucoma & had to have an eye

Customer Question

Our cat went blind from glaucoma & had to have an eye removed. Now she jerks her head back & forth & sometimes goes in circles. What can you tell us about these symptoms ? We are really worried.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sam. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If glaucoma has occurred in one eye, unfortunately there is a chance of it developing in the other eye. Is she on any medication, or has she had the pressure in her left eye checked? How does her left eye look; is there any redness? Is the pupil dilated?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If I could, I would examine the eye with an ophthalmoscope, take her eye pressure and also measure her systemic blood pressure, test her reflexes, and do a thorough physical exam. In addition to glaucoma, I would want to rule out heart disease, neurologic disease, internal disease.

Is she eating and drinking? How long has she been jerking her head and going in circles?