Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat threw up and I noticed a worm that was and also a

Customer Question
My cat threw up and...
My cat threw up and I noticed a long worm that was white and also a reddish brown. Is this heart worms?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/15/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Just to clarify - Did Little Tom throw up two different worms or just one that was white and reddish brown?

Was the white worm flat or round?

Does he go outside?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only one worm no he never goes out he sits on the back porch that is enclosed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure if it was round or flat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was very thin more the way small worms look that is found outside

Thank you for the additional information. I am currently typing your answer - should be available in the next 2-3 minutes

Heartworms are usually round and white in color and when present, live in the heart and blood vessels that attach to the lungs. Because of this, vomiting up a heartworm is not usually possible. Other worms that could be vomited up are roundworms and stomach worms. These are usually white though some can have a slight brown color. Roundworms are usually quite long.

Based on the picture - this looks like a tapeworm based on the segmented body that it has. Tapeworms come from ingesting rodents or from ingesting fleas on the fur. I would definitely check him to make sure that he does not have any fleas. If he does then using a monthly preventive such as Frontline Plus or Revolution is recommended. I would also recommend treating him with a dewormer then contains Praziquantel. This is usually available from your vet though let me check to see if it can be purchased over the counter.

https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Expert-Care-Tapeworm-Dewormer/dp/B019CD4ZDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466030498&sr=8-1&keywords=praziquantel+for+cats

Here is an example of a dewormer that can be purchased for the tapeworms.

Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if you have any questions - Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you hope my other cats can't get it

Tapeworms are not contagious to other cats directly. If one of the other cats ingests a flea or unfortunately a rodent then they could get tapeworms also. Might not be a bad idea to treat all of your cats though just to be sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You are very welcome!

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Cat Veterinarian