Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has been passing small hard dry stools few days &

Customer Question
My cat has been passing...
My cat has been passing small hard dry stools for a few days & getting stuck while trying to go with a hard piece of stool sticking out of her anus. I gave her Epsom salt baths each time which seemed to help. Then after she eats she has the same problem. I give her another bath then it comes out part way & very hard. She is able to pass a few more hard pieces then she eats. Her food is wet food with olive oil in it. Her anus gets swollen while she's stuck. She's resting now & anus is clear. What else can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Missy, 6 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Missy?
Customer: Not that I can think of, she's been pretty healthy thus far.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/12/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there- I am Dr. Kane and I will attempt to assist you with Missy today. Sorry to hear she is having some trouble! Constipation in cats is a fairly common issue, and there can be a few different underlying causes for this. One would be something that is causing overall dehydration which results in drying out of the stools (kidney disease, diabetes, or any illness that results in her not drinking enough water). Other possibilities are inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), or a GI motility disorder. It would be a good idea to get her checked by her veterinarian to help determine whether she is experiencing one of these disorders. In the meantime, you can try adding Miralax powder to her food- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon twice daily. Continue to give her the canned food- as the extra water should help with hydration. Has this helped?

Hi there- did you have any other concerns today? If not please provide a rating for me when you have a moment.

Please don't forget to provide a rating!

Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian