Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is a little kitten and he swallowed a foam ear plug ... what do we do? Stormy, He's about 5 weeks old,

Customer Question
He is a little kitten...
He is a little kitten and he swallowed a foam ear plug ... what do we do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Stormy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stormy?
Customer: He's about 5 weeks old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/11/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane and will try to assist you tonight. Sorry to hear about Storm's problem! Unfortunately there is a likelihood that in a kitten this small, the ear plug may not be able to move out of the stomach or through the intestinal tract, and could cause an obstruction. You can bring him in to a veterinarian where they can attempt to induce vomiting, although this may be tricky in such a small patient. If he vomits it up, this may help avoid him having to have surgery to remove the ear plug. If he doesn't vomit up the ear plug, we will have to wait and see if it causes an issue. Problems to watch for are vomiting, poor appetite, lethargy or discomfort- if this happens, he would need to be seen immediately. A normal kitten eats several times a day, and will be active and playful with several naps throughout the day. Keep an eye on his stools to see if the earplug passes out. Has this helped?

If you are satisfied with this answer please provide a rating when you have a chance! Good luck with your kitten- hope it all turns out alright!

Please don't forget to provide a rating!

Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian