Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I'm searching for a possible answer to my cat's vomiting. My 12 year old cat was vomiting up her kibble beginning...

Customer Question
I'm searching for a possible...
I'm searching for a possible answer to my cat's vomiting. My 12 year old cat was vomiting up her kibble beginning about 3 months ago. Took her and a picture of the vomit to the ER. All blood work was good. It didn't stop so we went to our regular vet a few weeks later. Again, all blood work was good but her teeth and gums had issues. Had the gums cleaned and four molars removed. She finished her antibiotics and went on soft food 3 times a day. EVEN MORE Vomit now and crying for food. She was free fed since a baby. She has lost 2 of her 8 pounds.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/8/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr Gabby.

Do you know if the vet did a blood test to check her thyroid levels? That is more of a specialized test. High thyroid levels cause a ravenous appetite, vomiting, and weigh loss.

What have you tried feeding her? Which brands and kinds?

Have any medications been tried or prescribed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My vet told me it was a "full panel" and everything was perfect. Not sure what the ER tested but I hope it was everything because the visit and just the blood work was $700.
She has eaten Science Diet indoor formula dry for her entire adult life with a small can of Fancy Feast (grilled in gravy) as a treat before bed about every other day. She has always eaten a few bites of dry about every hour or so. She grazes. She seems so unhappy with the strict feeding schedule.
Since the teeth removal she has been on 5 different wet foods which she hated and just sat by the dish and cried. She will only eat the fancy feast. I have been splitting up three small cans over 6 small feedings over the past few days with some success, but if I feed her the whole can she gobbles it and vomits because she's used to having food around all the time and now she doesn't. I can't keep coming home from work 3 times a day to feed her. I'll get fired but I don't want her to be sick.

Ok, ask the vet tomorrow if her thyroid levels were checked. If not then I would start there.

So were any medication prescribed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She also LOVES tempations treats so I have been crushing three or four a day and letting her have them crushed. That seems ok. If I hit snooze on the alarm and don't feed her in the AM exactly when she starts biting me to get up, she vomits a clear liquid which I can only assume are stomach acids that have come up because she was expecting to have some food.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No meds. Should I ask for some?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's using the litter box normally. Should I be afraid of a blockage?

Yes, there is definitely something going on.

First ask about the Thyroid test.

Second I would start her on over the counter Pepcid AC. It comes in 10 mg tablets and is an over the counter human stomach acid reducer. Give her 1/4 of a tablet crushed and mixed in her food every 12 hours.

Or you can put it in one of those temptation treats.

Canned food is easier to digest than dry. I would stick with the canned food even if it's fancy feast for now.

If she would eat plain cooked chicken, and you could use grocery store rotisserie chicken, that is usually easier to digest than canned cat food.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If she won't eat the food with the meds in it, can I just give it to her like a pill?

If her blood work was perfect then the next step would be abdominal x-rays or abdominal ultra sounds. That would be looking for anything abnormal like inflammed stomach or intestine lining. She is older so the vet would be be looking for any growths or anything partially stuck in her gi tract. If she is having normal bowel movements then there is not a completely blockage. There could be a partial blockage.

Sure if she won't eat it crushed in the food you can give it like a regular pill.

She could also have inflammatory bowel disease. Inflammatory bowel disease

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=598

Your vet could prescribe some anti-vomiting or anti-nausea medication.

If her stomach or intestine lining is inflamed per x-rays or ultra sound then medication could be prescribed to reduce that as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for all the direction. I will credit you right away and make a vet appointment in the morning.

I discovered these slow feeder on amazon last night and ordered one.

It would help her eat slower slowfeederpuzzles

You are welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband just told me that her bowel movements are very skinny and soft. Does this relate to this at all?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will order the feeder too.

Those feeders look really neat. Mine should be here tomorrow.

So a soft skinny stool tells me she could have inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract.

And it is moving too rapidly through the gastrointestinal tract.

So until you can get her to the vet try the 1/4 of the Pepcid Ac tablet every 12 hours. That should help. And if she will eat plain cooked chicken or plain cooked fish break that up into small pieces and see if she can keep that down.

I am hoping your vet will prescribe some medicaitons.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian