Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 7 year old 5lb.chihuahua, male , color med. tan. A

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old 5lb.chihuahua, male , color med. tan. A few months back I noticed his hair starting. At his neck was coming in black and continued down his back then he started loosing hair in patches across his back and hips and top of his tail, not completely bare , I noticed that on his hips the hair was raised in small places but no sores then the hair would come out. There has been no itching or scratching or rashes at any time.Thyroid checked just a little off and no further info was given concerning this condition, two different vets were seen,can you help?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What do you mean by his thyroid was a little off?

Did any vet do a skin scraping to look for mites or a ringworm culture?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of his hair loss and post it or attach it to your next message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what the vet said when he ran the test, in other words not enough to cause this condition. No skin scrapings ,there were no sores or rashes. I am unable to send a picture I'm dumb when it comes to that sort of thing, I will have to get my grandson to help me with that.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. First and foremost, if the thyroid level was low or low normal, that needs to be investigated further because it could be caused by hypothyroidism. A full thyroid panel with a T4, Free T4, TSH and thyroid antibodies should be ran to be complete. I would also get a skin scraping to rule out Demodectic mange and a ringworm culture. Neither Demodex nor ringworm are usually itchy. Besides hypothyroidism, there are many other hormonal causes of hair loss, and they may need to check for Cushing's disease (especially if there is increase in drinking, urination and/or appetite), run a sex hormone/growth hormone assay and even consider a skin biopsy. There are some diseases that cause the hair follicles to stop working or just go dormant. Certain individuals with certain hair colors (i.e.; the bluish color) tend to have hair loss in those areas. Some of these issues can be seasonal and some permanent. In many cases, if there is a hormonal or hair follicle cause, the problem tends to be just cosmetic and doesn't affect them in any other way. Seeing a picture of the hair coat would probably help a lot, so if you can get that picture, I would be more than happy to look at it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can' very well follow up when they have dismissed the problem. I can't give you a rating just yet. If I can get the pictures sent to you willi I still be on the original question or will I be billed again.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Just reply back to this same message thread. You don't get charged again. Just attach the picture here with the paper clip icon located above.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John