Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My brother's kitty recently peed all over herself, has been

Customer Question
hiding and he said he...
My brother's kitty recently peed all over herself, has been hiding and he said he changed her food and she's not eatingit, been about 3 days. I'm worried maybe a uti or kidney problem?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your brother's kitten?
Customer: She's in heat right now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/3/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. A urinary tract infection (or more commonly a bladder inflammation problem in cats) is very likely. If you have seen any increase in drinking, I would be concerned about kidneys as well. The thing that really concerns me is that she has not eaten for 3 days. Cats cannot tolerate anorexia for long periods of time. Their liver does not down regulate and gets inundated with excessive fat metabolism, which causes it to shut down. It is called hepatic lipidosis, and can be a very serious disease. It usually is a concern if they have not eaten for more than 3 days. It is possible that she just didn't want the new food and starved herself. You cannot rule out a potential liver or pancreatic issue either. Going on 3 days now, I would highly recommend getting the kitty into the vet to get some blood work and a urinalysis. They will most likely need to start some fluid therapy on her and either figure out a way for syringe feeding or putting a feeding tube in. With anorexia in cats, sometimes you need to be aggressive with treatment. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse