Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

Is it typical cat to leave its home to die?

Customer Question

Is it typical for a cat to leave its home to die?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am reviewing your question now if you would give me just a few minutes to type my reply so that I can get you the best possible answer.

So while cats can be reclusive when hiding illness, it is not common for them to leave the home to die. They usually will find a place in the home away from traffic, but don't tend to leave the house to die.
This almost sounds exactly like my situation a few years ago. I also had a very old, deaf cat that snuck out of the house. It took me 8 days to find him. What I did was leave my garage door cracked, set out food and water in the garage, and a can of tuna for smell. cats typically will stay around the home when they get out as they get scared and hide. they will move about at dawn and dusk. Both times my old man got out I found him around midnight.
If she has been relatively healthy and has been checked out by a vet recently and found in good health, then I would be hesitant to say it is because she is going out to die.

make sure you put out flyers in your community and alert your animal control in case she is found.

What other questions do you have?

are you still there?

Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.