Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Is it normal cat to go the litter box in the middle of

Customer Question

Is it normal for a cat to go the litter box in the middle of eating? I think she has diarrhea because it's runny. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: She eats well but when she goes to use the litter box her poop is runny and not solid . Should I be concerned?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She's 12 yrs old still very active.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is she strictly indoors?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. About a month and a half
2. No pre-existing medical condition
3. Indoor cat mostly but she do go outside with me holding her in my arms.
4. Vomiting alittle
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is not normal for her to go to the litter box in the middle of eating. The fact that she has diarrhea it is likely a response to the inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The big question is: Why does she have diarrhea? Diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Diet, autoimmune (IBS), infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian given that this has been ongoing for 1.5 months. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.