Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My chinchilla has a cloudy eye. She was fine last night and

Customer Question
Hello my chinchilla has a...
Hello my chinchilla has a cloudy eye. She was fine last night and just noticed it now when I came home for lunch. What causes this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the chinchilla's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she about 11 now
JA: How old is Tweak?
Customer: 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tweak?
Customer: She was blind in one eye already from about 4 years ago. She was adopted when she was 5 so I don't know much about her background before I got her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/30/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is this her good eye?

Has Tweak had any sneezing?

Any discharge from the eye? What color?

Do you see any areas on the shiny corneal eye cover that look non-shiny or like an ulcer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's her good eye, no sneezing, discharge. It looks there's a light cloudy film or layer on it. This is what happened to her other eye but by the time I found a specialist it was too late.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No discharge and no changes in behaviour

Thank you,

Since you noted it looks like film, does it move when she blinks?

What was their diagnosis for her other eye (ie cataract, glaucoma, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't move and I unfortunately never ended up getting a diagnosis for her other eye cause it was too late and the whole thing became white.

Thank you again,

First, that is a shame that diagnosis wasn't determined for the other eye, as knowing what was present there (since the permanent opacity is more likely to be scaring then the primary problem underlying) would let us know what we may be facing here. Or it would let us rule out the two being related.

In any case, we do have a few concerns when see this type of eye changing. Since this film like appearance doesn't appear mobile and there is no discharge, this clouding/haze you are seeing is what we'd call corneal edema. It is the eye's way of swelling in response to trauma (which can be dramatic if the eye has been scratched or poked but also subtle or diffuse if she has gotten dust in the eye or rubbed it too vigorously, etc). It tells us that the cornea has damaged or irritated and often is seen when there is an underlying ulcer or abrasion. As well, though less commonly, we can see it secondary to glaucoma (sometimes induced by cataracts) though often we have redness and an enlarged painful eyeball in those cases. If we did see that, she'd need to be seen urgently.

Otherwise, while we do need to tread with care, some supportive care. To start, you can try flushing the eye with eye-safe saline (ie first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) to flush out any secondary bacteria and keep infection away as you monitor the eye. Though if this isn't settled by the time her vet is open, we'd want a check. That way we can head off any related issues but also have them stain her cornea to look for ulcers or trauma. Depending on their findings, the vet can provide topical antibiotic ointment +/- pain relief if she is very sore and help her eye recover from this situation without lasting damage.

So, this would be our concern with what you are seeing in this eye. So, if we are seeing an enlarged painful eye, we'd want her seen now. Otherwise, we can choose to monitor and flush the eye, at this stage. Though if she isn't settled over the rest of this weekend or there are any progression of signs, then we'd want this checked and stained to assess the extent of the corneal disease and get this settled for her .

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a specific eye drop I should look for, and there is never any redness or swelling. The previous eye just got progressively more cloudy until it became white. So she didn't seem bothered by it.

Hello again,

I am very glad we have no swelling since that does make issues of glaucoma less likely (we can still see some cases where the swelling is more subtle). In any case, that does make scaring from other internal eye issues or possible lapse in tear production a concern for the blind eye. In any case, in regards ***** ***** the eye, there is no one brand just one of those abovementioned safe options. Though avoid any OTC medicated eye drops though since they don't have ingredients that are safe to use for our wee ones. If we need drops per say, we'd need them from her vet since chins are so sensitive to OTC human medications.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help. I will see what I can do. Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes with Tweak,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've been using the drops, at the moment it doesn't seem to be getting worse. However, it also doesn't seem to be getting better. The more I look at it , it looks a bit like a contact lens.

Hi again,

Its unclear what drops you mean. If you are referring to saline as we discussed, then a lack of improvement and what you have described does suggest corneal edema/inflammation. So, we'd really want this checked at this point to look for damage to the clear corneal cover, so this can be addressed before permanent scarring can occur.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian