Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

If I only used buprenorphine to euthenize my 14 lb, 18yo

Customer Question

If I only used buprenorphine to euthenize my 14 lb, 18yo male cat at home, how much would I use? Would it take a long time? Suffering? He's been on .02 every 12 hrs for about 25 days and now even tells me when he needs/wants the addictive stuff...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I am very sorry to hear that Georgie is unwell.Please be aware that you cannot euthanize him with Buprenorphine. The way the drug binds the receptors actually prevents overdose. Instead, giving a high dose would just keep him at the top dose for longer. So, he'd just be sedate, lethargic, and collapsed but unlikely to die. Instead, he could just be likely become dehydrated and would start to starve which would be a terrible way for him to pass away if he managed to. So, it wouldn't be kind to try this at home. And I have to warn that there are no other OTC alternatives, since anything that could cause pet death would be a risk to people and therefore would be a controlled drug.So, if he is in pain and unwell, it would be kindest to take him to his vet, have his local vet come to him for a home visit or have the mobile vet do so. That way they can use an appropriate drug to help him pass peacefully in minutes and without suffering. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought that be your answer. I will not take him in to the vet and planned on someone coming to the house. I found a nice person who practices this solely as her business but a little pricey maybe. Is $600 for the two injection method, taking the body and returning the ashes in nice box with name imprint a fair price? She is avail ALWAYS within 24 hrs. If needed at no charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.I am sorry that there isn't a safe method for you to use, but did just want to make sure you didn't cause either of you more distress then we'd want for Georgie or yourself. So, I do think the home visit vet is the best option and while it is a bit expensive I am glad to hear that she uses the 2 injection method (since that way they are calm and sedate before the final injection) and it is very good that she is available whenever she is needed.Please take care, my thoughts are with you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.